Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Nacho Cheese

My students and I were talking about food today and the conversation led to the joke that ends with "nacho cheese."



It got me thinking about dinner tonight. We all know that by the time we get home from school/work all we want to do is relax. But then we think, "oh wait, I'm hungry and need to make dinner." If you are a good meal planner and plan ahead then props to you. I, however, am not that talented and my meal is whatever I can throw together and quickly. So if you are like me I have a very simple, yet delicious scrumptious (one of my students used that word today) nacho meal.

First off, these nachos are a recipe (if you can even call it that) that my mom and I kind of threw this together one day a few years back and have been eating it ever since. There really aren't any measurements and therefore you can put as much of the ingredients in as much as you want. If any of you know me well enough, I really have an issue with putting too much cheese on things...



Any who, back to the instructions.
  • I use the El Ranchero salted chips and spread them over a baking pan. I then spread a can of Hormel Chili (uncooked) over the chips and add some freshly cut jalapeños to really get the spice going. 
  • My next and favorite step.... CHEESE! I use the Mexican Blend Kraft cheese and use the whole bag. 
  • Put it in the oven at maybe 350 degrees or until the cheese is melted. 
  • While that is cooking, I cut apart some lettuce and tomatoes to spread on top when the nachos are done. I also make sure to have some sour cream or salsa out for me and the family to use.


Now that you are probably hungry, what is your favorite go to snack or meal on the go? Time to help fellow teachers out! Go!

Bon Appétit!


5 comments:

  1. I kid you not - I was making a grocery list about 20 minutes ago. I'm definitely adding these ingredients to my list!! What a great idea for a quick and delicious meal!! Thanks for the inspiration. ;) I'm thinking about adding some black olives too, because.. why not! I love your video visual - it really sold me even more! It is so true that it is hard to gather the energy to make dinner after school.

    My "go-to" quick meal recently has been quesedillas. Ha! I usually have wraps laying around because I use them for lunches a lot. I'll put basically any kind of cheese in the quesedilla and add tomato! If I have leftover chicken or pre-made chicken, I'll add that. If I don't, I'll make some tomato soup for the side. Pretty simple, but it does the trick. :)

    Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try it TOMORROW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who does not love cheese?! This was wonderful inspiration for me to make my own nachos this weekend! And who needs measurements?! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hilarious nacho memes! This made me realize that nachos could be a great meal on a work night and not just reserved for Super Bowl Sundays. I like the idea of the warm chips, cheese and chili with the cool crunchy lettuce and juicy tomatoes. Gonna serve this one up soon! Thanks for the video too... very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering just reading and watching the video of your nachos. I’ll have to make some this week for dinner and lunch. Maybe I’ll put them on a salad and have nacho salad for lunch at work this week.

    I found this great recipe for cheesy pull bread a few years ago and I can't stop making it. Here it is:

    Cheesy Jalapeño Pull Bread

    Ingredients:
    •1 rustic loaf of bread, unsliced, either Italian or French
    •12 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    •1/4 cup (less or more to taste) chopped pickled jalapeños
    •1/4 cup chopped green onions, including greens
    •1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) butter, melted

    Directions:
    1.Preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the bread almost all the way through (not all the way) in a crosshatch pattern, spacing an inch between the slices.
    2.Place the shredded cheese in a large bowl. Toss with the green onions and jalapeños. Pour over with melted butter and use your clean hands to toss, to distribute the butter evenly through the cheese.
    3.Place the bread on a large sheet of aluminum foil (large enough to wrap the bread) on a baking sheet. Stuff every crevasse with the cheese mixture. Wrap with the aluminum foil. At this point you can make ahead and refrigerate until ready to bake.
    4.Place in the oven for 15 minutes. Then uncover the foil from the bread and cook for 10 minutes more, until all of the cheese has melted.
    5.Place on a serving board or plate to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE nachos! I don't shy away from ordering a nacho appetizer as my whole meal sometimes when I'm at a restaurant. I also can't get enough of the cheese, and I love the extra kick jalepenos! I am totally going to try your idea of using Hormel chili...I can't wait!

    My go to recipe lately has actually been turkey tacos. They're just so quick and easy and, like nachos, a lot of the ingredients are usually in my fridge or pantry.

    Thanks for the idea! Maybe this week I'll pair nachos and turkey tacos :)

    ReplyDelete