Wednesday, August 19, 2015

What's for Dinner?

Well, we have all been trying to get back on our schedules with school starting... and lets be honest, there is NO time left in the days again to have a gourmet meal. As we began our first school day today, I realized that I no longer have the freedom to go to the bathroom when I want, snack when I want, or have time to plan a decent meal. Okay, maybe I am exaggerating a little here... I did make a decent meal with little time last night.

As I searched Pinterest (again...) I found a recipe that looked yummy, quick, and with mild preparation. I found the recipe for Italian meatballs and tortellini during my browse session. Whats not to like? Meatballs...good. Tortellini...good. Parmesan cheese....good! (Friends reference anyone?!)

The recipe only calls for a bag of frozen meatballs of your choice (I used Johnsonville Classic Italian), frozen tortellini (I used Three Bridges - Five Cheese), a can of chicken broth and a jar of Ragu pasta sauce.

Here is a quick list of how to make it because really thats all it needs!
  1. Cook meatballs in the oven for 28 minutes at 350°. Be careful here. My oven must be a super-duper oven and cooked them in 22 minutes. I also flipped them halfway through to prevent burning the bottom.
  2. While the meatballs are cooking, add two cups of Ragu, one cup of chicken broth and tortellini in a frying pan. Cook on low heat for 8 minutes. I stirred this to get the ingredients mixed. You also DO NOT cook the tortellini prior to this. This was a major concern to me, but it tasted great in the end!
  3. Add the cooked meatballs to the simmered pasta and cook on low heat for two more minutes.
  4. Add parmesan cheese.
  5. Pair with your favorite wine! I paired this meal with a Sweet Red from Cooper's Hawk (go figure...).
https://shop.coopershawkwinery.com/Sweet-Red.html

Just want to throw two quick tips out there for anyone who wants to make this. 
  • Make sure you don't overcook your meatballs. It will ruin the meal.
  • If you like your pasta with more sauce, use more of the Ragu and chicken broth since you have some leftover. Ours needed more sauce, but still tasted wonderful!
Here is a quick video showing you fast and easy steps!



Okay, so we can all make this meal on a school night right? It is possible and, duh, it is delicious. 

As we move into the next hectic two weeks I am curious to know what meal you have that is even easier or quicker than this one. I will be coaching softball after school and will not be getting home until REALLY late at night. I need some help with the easiest, most effortless meals to make.  Please share if you have anything great!

Bon appétit!!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Everything you make looks so delicious, Brittany! I love how easy this is. What a perfect meal for the school year. I am glad you included the comment about not cooking the tortellini because that made me a little nervous, too, when I first read it. Your video was perfect, too. I wish I had a quick recipe for you, but unfortunately I eat more fast food during the school year than anything I cook. I'm glad you are doing this blog because I hope it will inspire me to eat healthier throughout the year. Thanks!
    P.S. I loved the Friends reference. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious!!! I wish I was a better cook. And that I was more enthused about cleaning the pans after I'm done with them! My girlfriend and I have started experimenting with frozen homemade breakfast foods to make the morning a lot quicker and cheaper. I made up some egg whites, put them in a plastic container with frozen potatoes and some apple sausage pieces then threw it in the freezer. About 3 minutes in the microwave and it's ready to eat. So tasty!

    ReplyDelete