Monday, August 3, 2015

Grillin' in the Heat

Happy Monday everyone!

This weekend I was determined to top my simple chicken and salad meal from two weeks ago. I was the crazy person who decided to grill in the 90 degree heat this past Sunday (face-> palm).  I wanted to really beef (no pun intended) up my meal so I decided to make chicken and beef kabobs. What I did not realize was how long this whole process would take, but in the end the food was delicious!

My parents told me they would make this essentially from scratch all the time, so I decided to give it a try. First I began by cubing the chicken and beef. Man is there a lot of excess fat on the beef! I had to cut all the fat off and felt like there was no beef left! After I was done cutting the meat, I moved on to making the marinade. Sure this meal would have been fine simply being marinaded with Italian dressing, but my dad has a wonderful kabob marinade, so I decided to try that! After mixing the vegetable oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic and pepper in a plastic Ziploc bag, I added the meat, also. I made sure to really toss the bag around to make sure the meats were covered in marinade before putting it in the fridge for about 5 hours.


Later in the day I began to cut up the vegetables. This consisted of green pepper, red pepper, onion and mushrooms. My dad had to step in and cut the onions though because I wasn't up for crying! I made sure to cut the veggies into thicker pieces so they would grill well and stay on the skewer better. I decided to make meat skewers and vegetable skewers because my parents mentioned the vegetables seemed to cook a lot faster than the meat. My mom asked me if I needed help while I was cooking so she made some rice to go on the side. Thanks Mom!


Now this is the part I wasn't ready for; the amount of time it took to grill. I was also the dummy who decided to grill in 30mph winds on a 90 degree day! Overall it took about 15 -20 minutes, with some taste testing to see how close they were to being done. At this point I was impatient and sweaty and vouched to never grill in that type of heat again. Even though I say that, the kabobs turned out to be wonderful.

Before eating I was in need of pouring myself a refreshment. I paired this meal with the Cooper's Hawk White Sangria. I chose this wine because with the meat and vegetables being grilled and more of a salty flavor, I wanted to pair it with something a little more sweet. I'm sure a red wine would have also gone well with this, but the white sure went down just fine!

We also decided to pull out different sauces to put with our rice and kabobs. I found it best to just be to mix up all the pieces so they all caught some of each others flavors. Here is a picture of the finished product!

After completing this meal, I felt much more accomplished than last time. As school and chaos is approaching quickly, I am looking for some quick, yet delicious, meals to make on weeknights. Do you have a favorite weeknight recipe that you are willing to share? Please post if you do!

Bon appétit!!

6 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! I love making kabobs but they definitely take a lot of prep work! My mom has an amazing "smokey marinade" that I always use when I make kabobs - chili sauce, soy sauce, vegetable oil, vinegar, minced onion, garlic, mustard powder, and liquid smoke - so delicious!! I have also been thinking about weeknight meals for the school year considering how busy all of us are going to be! I like to throw something in the crockpot in the morning before school so that it's ready when I get home. Here's a link to a blog post I did about crockpot carnitas! It makes a ton of pulled pork and the leftovers heat up nicely for school lunches!

    https://adifferentseason.wordpress.com/2014/09/14/a-season-to-shred-keto-crockpot-carnitas/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love making kabobs in the summer. I let my husband take care of the grill though ;). The marinade sounds yummy, I will have to try that one! I also love to do grilled pineapple when I do chicken ones. As far as a weeknight meal, I have a super, super easy recipe with virtually no clean-up. I think my mom got it from Kraft magazine a long time ago, but I can't find a link that is exactly the same. All you need is layer these ingredients into an aluminum foil "tent" and place on a baking sheet to catch any juices.

    1/2 cup diced potato (baking or yellow)
    skinless chicken breast
    a little taco seasoning
    1/4 cup mexican cheese
    2 TBSP salsa

    Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 min.
    I make these once/twice a month when I'm really pressed for time. You can always make up a quick side salad too.

    P.S.: Love Cooper's Hawk! We should all do a wine night sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious, Brittany. The homemade marinade sounds much better than a bottle of store-bought dressing, so I'm glad you included that. I never thought of the meat and vegetables cooking differently. I realize it is a very simple concept, but it had never really dawned on me to do them separately. Genius!

    I'd like to start cooking more, so I'm looking forward to your quick and easy recipes during the school year.

    Also, I really like Jenna's Cooper's Hawk idea. Let's make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - good work, Brittany!! I like that you cooked the skewers separately. I'm super crazy when it comes to cooking chicken ... and I'm always skeptical of it being cooked through enough / touching the veggies...

    Maybe next time have one glass of wine prior to the 90 degree grilling?! Just a suggestion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I'm coming over! :)
    It looks delicious and now I'm ready for dinner. You are right, marinading and cutting all of the meat and vegetables does take FOR.EVER! I've been in this bad habit this summer of not really "planning" for dinner and surfing Pinterest and finding the perfect meal, only to realize it takes hours of prep work and hours to cook, and dinner is quickly approaching! I'm also always up for some recipe suggestions for quick school nights because I find myself stuck in a dinnertime rut of the same simple meals over and over again! Before my daughter was born and I had more time, I'd spend a chunk of time on the weekend prepping and freezing meals for the week, I need to do that again!
    I could totally prepare some kabobs for the hubby to grill up in a pinch!
    Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome cooking idea! I used to eat kabobs all the time with my family. It's been awhile but now that you bring it up, I might just try this out myself! I am also super paranoid about undercooked chicken, so I generally overcook it out of fear! I should really work on timing more. Unfortunately for me, no grills allowed on my balcony here in the apartment, so kabobs may have to wait.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete